Frog in switch gear cabinet; snake on transformer

Approximately 200 customers in the central Venetian Bay area were out of power last evening after a frog (yes, you read that correctly) got into a switch gear cabinet (the box that contains the equipment switching the overhead electric service to underground). With all the rain we have had lately, frogs are everywhere now - and apparently that includes sensitive electrical equipment. If this sounds odd to you, consider that Florida ranks 4th (tied with Massachusetts and Texas) for the state with the most electric outages caused by animals. We certainly have had our share lately. Last Thursday's overnight outage that took out the power for approximately 3/4 of our customers was caused by a snake on one of the large transformers at our Field Street Substation. As you can expect, neither the snake nor the frog survived.